We are seeking 2 Sports Therapists/Welfare Advisors to support The USA 2020 Challenge during the period February 2020 to June 2020.
The USA 2020 Challenge will see Ben Smith, Director of The 401 Challenge and Founder of The 401 Foundation, run a marathon in each of the 50 US State capitals as well as cycle between each one. Ben will be aiming to complete the 14,001 mile adventure in just 104 days: starting in March 2020 and finishing during National School Sport Week in June 2020.
During this epic challenge, with the help of schools, organisations and individuals all around the UK and further afield, Ben is aiming to raise £1 million for two charities: The 401 Foundation and Youth Sport Trust, supporting their work which uses physical activity to improve people’s mental health and wellbeing.
Ben will be supported in the USA by a small voluntary team of individuals consisting of a Project Manager, Therapist and Media/Communications Manager. The second Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor role will initially be UK based. The Sport’s Therapist/Welfare Advisor’s will switch over at the half-way mark of the Challenge with the initial US-based Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor returning to the UK to take on the UK Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor role and the UK Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor travelling out to the USA to take over the US Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor role. The USA-Based Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor will, by default, be the Lead Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor role.
USA-based Sports Therapist/Welfare Advisor
- Ben’s daily recovery using your professional skills.
- The USA Teams individual and group welfare, general health and first aid.
- Delegating and monitoring suitable aspects of welfare support during the event to other Team members.
- Supporting the USA PM with general Challenge duties related to accommodation, logistics and briefing tasks.
- Routinely reviewing health risks areas and plans, in liaison with the Team and establish suitable solutions.
- Manage in-country communication with relevant medical facilities/persons.
- Manage professional communications between yourself and the UK Therapist.
- Supplying and obtaining any massage and medical supplies.
- Sharing the driving of the Team transport.
- Provide the Health input into the Daily briefing for all USA Based Team members.
- Liaising with UK-based organisations for professional and self support throughout the Challenge.
- Undertaking tasks delegated by the USA PM
- The ideal candidates will have and be able to evidence professional qualification in Sports Therapy and Massage or extensive, practical experience of sports therapy and massage.
- To be comfortable with being in front of a camera and able to communicate effectively as we will require all USA team roles to document their own journeys that will then be shared with media, schools, businesses and The 401 Challenge social following.
- This post would suit someone with a can-do attitude who wants to use their skills to do something different, widen their experience, support the 401 Foundation and be part of a small team looking to make a big difference.
- The ideal candidate will be able to be self-motivated, manage a varied workload, have a keen eye for detail, have the ability to frequently work to tight deadlines in a challenging and mobile work environment; they must also be prepared to multi-task by shadowing other support team members in order to act as a back-up or make arrangements to enable tasks to be covered.
- To be successful in this role you will also need experience in and evidence of capabilities covering First Aid, Welfare Management and general health support.
- Knowledge or experience of the Charity sector and/or participation in sporting endurance events, whilst not a requirement, would be beneficial.
- You will have experience of working with both professional and community agencies/groups and be comfortable travelling and living abroad. You will also need to evidence excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, good interpersonal skills and be confident in the use of the main social media platforms and office-based software.
- You will be prepared to travel to and operate within the USA for up to 2.5 months, with few down days, You will also need to be available during February 2020 in order to take over the role and begin helping prepare the Team for the start of the event.
- Communication – You must be able to think creatively about the communication channels you will have available to you, both in the USA and UK.
- Scheduling – This is a core skill you must have to ensure the overall health and performance of the USA team is adequately monitored in order for the USA 2020 Challenge to remain on track.
- Risk Management – You must be able to control medical health risks and quickly identify solutions to reduce or mitigate the problem.
- Negotiating – You must have good negotiation skills and be prepared to resolve conflicts by finding the win-win scenarios for everyone.
- Critical Thinking – You must be able to make good professional decisions. You will often have to quickly weigh up the pros and cons of any solutions to a given problem before choosing the right way forward.
- Task Management – You must be able to create and maintain a health task list, delegate work where appropriate and keep on top of progress.
- Budget Management – You need to show that you can manage the health care aspect of the Challenge budget appropriately.
- Sense Of Humour – This will enable you to stay grounded and maintain the goodwill of the rest of the Team.
- This position would suit someone who wants to use their skills to do something different, widen their work experience, support the 401 Foundation and be part of a small team looking to make a big difference.
- Applicants will need to have and show evidence of a clean UK driving license, be 25 or older and have experience of driving transit vans or similar size vehicles. Successful applicants will need to obtain an International Driving Licence prior to departure to the USA.
- Applicants will need to apply for a USA Tourist Visa to cover the 2 to 2.5 month period they will be in the USA. Applicants will need to affirm, prior to taking up post, that they have no criminal convictions and have not previously been refused entry to use USA.
- Applicants will need to provide their own Travel and Medical Insurance and pass details of such, prior to travel to the USA, to the UK Based PM. Medical Insurance must also cover dental care. Successful applicants must declare any serious allergies and will be responsible for sourcing and carrying any required medicines. They will also be responsible for having any vaccines required for travel.
This is an unpaid Volunteer position. However, travel to and from the USA, as well as accommodation and meals and Challenge-related use of support vehicles in the USA will be covered by the USA 2020 Challenge.